For all the unknown variables in the Bojan Krkić saga, one thing is clear. He will go out on loan yet again for the 2013/2014 season. And while it had been assumed that he would be returning to La Liga after a two year stint in Serie A with AS Roma and then AC Milan, the matter seems to have taken a new twist.
Not even a week has passed since Real Betis coach Pepe Mel said that Bojan was close to joining his Andalusian side, and now reports state that the Eredivisie has overtaken La Liga as his likely destination. His agent, Alexander Bursac, had confirmed three days ago to Voetbal International that there had been concrete contact with Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven, and that Ajax was a less serious option since their talks had not been as advanced. He also added that Bojan remains an FC Barcelona player, and that the blaugrana will also decide on his future.
It seems that this declaration prompted Ajax coach, Frank de Boer, to go all out in expressing his interest in the young Catalan player, describing him as “a quality player who knows what it’s like to perform at the highest level“. De Boer also said on Friday that “Bojan is a roving attacker in the mold of Viktor Fischer. He’s not a real right winger like Isaac Cuenca, but I would like to have him.”
It seems it couldn’t be clearer that Ajax is interested in his services. However, Frank de Boer made it even more obvious that an Ajax move for Bojan was inevitable when he said, “I myself have talked to him. He has long been in the picture for us, and we have years of contact with his father. It would surprise me if he chooses a Dutch club other than Ajax.”
So in three days, his likely destination has shifted from Real Betis to a top Eredivisie club, mostly because the Sevilla-based side cannot afford his 3 million euro a year salary (their highest earner, Ruben Castro, earns slightly under 1 million euros). His likely destination was limited between Feyenoord and PSV Eindhoven, until it totally shifted again today to Ajax.
According to Mundo Deportivo, the latest reports indicate that Ajax President, Michael Kinsbergen, and Director of Football (and ex-Barça player), Marc Overmars, have landed in Barcelona to finalize the one year loan deal with FC Barcelona Vice President, Josep Maria Bartomeu, with an option for a second year extension, while also covering his entire salary.
These details will hopefully be confirmed in the next couple of days. What is interesting in this Dutch pursuit is that all three clubs are headed by ex-Barça players, and they all used their ties with the blaugrana to try and secure Bojan’s services. Feyenoord is headed by blaugrana hero, legend, and captain Ronald Koeman. PSV is headed by ex-club captain Philip Cocu, who was the previous record holder in club appearances for a foreigner with 292 matches played, and Ajax is coached by Frank de Boer, the latter’s Barça teammate.
Out of all the likely destinations, Ajax is the only one with a guaranteed Champions League spot to provide Bojan with the needed competitive game time to regain his confidence, and live up to his potential.
Image Credit: Jon Nazca/Reuters