The prestigious French magazine ‘France Football’ announced this Sunday the name of 10 football players who will compete for this year’s Ballon d’Or award. Four of the names in this final list are Barcelona players.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Andrés Iniesta, Xavi Hernández and Lionel Messi are still in the race for the award, though it has been predicted that the Argentinian is the shoe-in favourite.
Former Barcelona striker, Samuel Eto’o, has also made the list.
The rest of the players in the final 10 are: Kaká and Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid, Didier Drogba of Chelsea, Steven Gerrard of Liverpool, and Wayne Rooney of Manchester United.
The winner will be announced on December 1 by the magazine, with the award presentation to be held the following Sunday, December 6, in the studios of TF1, in the French capital, Paris.
The incumbent is Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo when he was with Manchester United.
Other players who made the full (30-player) list, according to rankings are:
11. Fernando Torres (Liverpool)
12. Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal)
13. Edin Dzeko (Wolfsburg)
14. Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)
15. Thierry Henry (FC Barcelona)
16. Luis Fabiano (FC Sévilla), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Iker Casillas (Real Madrid)
19. Diego Forlan (Atletico Madrid)
20. Yoann Gourcuff (Bordeaux)
21. Andrei Arshavin (Arsenal), Julio Cesar (Inter Milan), Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
24. Maicon (Inter Milan)
25. Diego (Juventus)
26. David Villa (Valencia), John Terry (Chelsea)
28. Franck Ribéry (Bayern Munich), Yaya Touré (FC Barcelona)
30. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)